Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Scrub A Dub


This post is for Tara Dom. She wanted me to write about cleaning makeup brushes. It's so easy to do this, everyone should be cleaning their brushes on a regular basis. I usually wash my brushes when I'm laying over at a hotel for the night. It gives me something to do and they have time to dry over night.
Makeup brushes not only have makeup buildup, they also have oil, dust, skin, and dirt. Yum what a cocktail of lovely things. I like to wash my brushes with warm water and antibacterial soap.
  • Wet the brush with warm water
  • In the palm of your hand put a little soap
  • Gently swirl the brush around in the soap
  • Rinse and repeat if necessary
  • Reshape and lay flat on a towel, let dry over night
  • Don't put wet makeup brushes in a holder or cup with bristles facing up. The left over water will run down into where the handle and the bristles meet and loosen the glue
  • If you have a matted makeup brush you can comb out the knots. After the cleaning process, rub a little conditioner into the bristles and comb gently until any matted spots and knots are out. Rinse again, reshape, and lay flat on a towel
Honestly it's that simple.

Hot Tip: If you don't have many brushes and you are working with several colors, you can clean brushes in between alternating colors with a brush cleaner. Cleaners usually come in a spray bottle and are usually antibacterial. Spray some on a towel and gently swirl the brush on the towel until it's clean. Colors will look more vibrant. Try Sephora for a selection of brush cleaners.

2 comments:

  1. okay my brushes are LONG over due for a cleaning... never thought about the other lovelies that get stuck in them besides makeup!! bedbugs for a makeup brush!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tiff! haha yea wash those brushes girl! Creepy crawly things...no good!
    btw I'm sooo new to this, how do I get your blog on my list of "blogs I'm following"?? and did you post your awesome roasted chicken and pistachio nut salad yet?? I still have that recipe somewhere!

    ReplyDelete