Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pull Up Your Beach Chair It's BEACH HAIR 101


Ombre, tousled, and waves oh my! Whatever your idea of summer locks may be, they all have one word in common...sexy!!! I just love me some carefree summer hair! Now, how to get the "I just got home from the beach" look isn't exactly wash and go. It takes a tiny bit of effort. This post covers 3 things: color, product and hot tools. Relax and have fun, it's just hair!


Color:
  • Ombre is staying strong on the color front and it's going nowhere soon. This practically maintenance free technique is made to look like you are growing out old highlights. Sounds strange I know, but I actually think it's pretty bombshell....proving my point with a pic of my friend Alyssa right above! It will look like you spent the summer on the sand and in the sun! Go for it!
Products:
  • There are so many products on the market today it'll make your head spin. I'll give you 3 of my favorites. First was a suggestion from my friend Katrina who lives in CA. Her stylist out there had her try  Unite 7 seconds . (click on the blue link for a short video) It has UV protectors and your hairs best friend...silicone. This is a great, lightweight spray for all hair types especially colored hair. The sun will strip your hair color so protect your investment. Throw this in your beach bag for all day UV protection and detangling your wind blown hair. The silicone will de-frizz. Katrina recommends spraying, then pinning some big loose curls all around your head and letting it air dry or blow dry with a diffuser. The result is perfect beachy waves!
  • Second Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray literally has salt water as a ingredient. This product adds texture so it's great for fine hair and it will also give straight hair some of that texture too. Spray evenly and then try braiding maybe 5 or 6 different sections loosely. Air dry or blow dry with a diffuser then unravel for gorgeous waves. Use your fingers and massage your scalp for some lift.
  • Third I'm loving Moroccan Oils Curl Cream. Put this in towel dried hair and go. Again in the summer anything with silicone is going to help de-frizz. This product also keeps your ends from drying out.
Hot Tools:
  • Fat barrel curling irons are my favorite for creating loose waves! I like the brand "Hot Tools Professional" for my curling iron choice. Mine are gold platted and they hold heat evenly. Root curls are easy to learn and don't give you that Little Bo Peep look. Basically you want to curl the roots of your hair and leave the ends out until the last few seconds. This way the curls give you some body at the scalp.
  • Diffusers are great if you already have wavy hair. Apply any of the products listed above and disuse your hair to sexy tousled waves. They are also great if you want to quickly dry braids or pinned up curls without knocking them out of place. The more air you have blowing around your hair the more the waves get knocked out and the straighter your hair becomes. When you attach a defuser to your blow dryer it blocks air flow pressure and just throws out the heat...which is what is actually drying your hair.  

4 comments:

  1. Will salt water in bumble & bumble sprays dry out and damage your hair? I still use it but it knots my hair...but now reading this entry, maybe if Ifollow with silicone product, it won't be as much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you using it everyday? If so yes its drying. Following with silicone product will soften yes, but, the salt from the spray remains. I use these beach products more in the summer and I always make sure I have a purifying shampoo and deep conditioner on hand for a once a week routine. The shampoo once a week the deep conditioner twice a week. Try that and let me know!

      Delete
  2. thx 4 the info--i don't use it everyday...more so on the third day if i need some texture or grip to put my hair up. i guess with all the products already in my hair by the 3rd day, the salt won't do too much to my hair! lol...any recommendation on a clarifying shampoo? i use neutrogena clarifying shampoo every other washing since i always accidentally get the silicone product (it's a 10 miracle oil plus keratin) onto my roots/scalp through my fingers raking through my hair or from my round brush and use the clarifying to get rid of that since my sulfate-free shampoo doesn't do as good of a job in removing all of it. i can't wait to give this hair away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neutrogena is perfect! I usually use that one myself. Kenny you're so good at all of this stuff! I feel like I could learn from you. We should collaborate on a post one of these days! xo

    ReplyDelete